Thursday, March 26, 2015

Decorating Celtic Knots-Shading & Decorating with Lines

Shading & Decorating with Lines

Decorating Celtic Knots can be a bit daunting at times. With all the close lines you can loose the under and over effect if you use dark colours or busy patterns. 

I intend to post some ideas that may help people struggling with these issues. I also intend to show interesting ways to decorate using, shading, colouring, lines and doodles.

Feel free to send me requests or questions. I will do my best to answer them.

The first idea I will show you is the knot below from my new book 120 Celtic Knots for Artists & Craftsmen.



To shade the under and over pieces I have used black lines. I outlined the design in a No. 05 Pigma Micron Black Pen and the did the decorating and shade in a No. 01 Pigma Micron Black Pen. 

The steps for the shading are below:



Step 1. Draw 3 parallel lines across the line going under, covering the full width.

Step 2. Draw 3 parallel lines across the line going under, but each line get shorter than the previous line.

Step 3. Draw vertical lines crossing the first 3 parallel horizontal lines, covering the full width.

Step 4. Draw small parallel diagonal lines beside the overlapping line, covering the full width.

To finish decorating this design I drew parallel lines inside each set of lines on both sides.


Here are some of the designs that you can find in my Book.


 

 

If you wish to purchase 120 Celtic Knots for Artists & Cratsmen you can click here: HERE

Have a Great Day.

2 comments:

  1. I too love sharing the joy of creativity. Read that at the top. So fun to see them light up. Blesses my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Judy, i just wanted to say its nice to meet another Aussie through Tangle nation, actually Genevieves site. I love your Knots and started them, but haven't done much since. I live in Victoria in West Gippsland and have been tangling since 2011. I was an Art teacher and really missed it when I retired. BUT..last week i came alive again when asked to tutor 2 distance ed students for year 12 art. I have wanted to do a book also for years. With 40 odd years teaching art I know a lot, whereas art teacher training these days is sadly lacking. At first I thought of a colouring book for adults but theres heaps of those already. When getting stuff out to show my 2 girls I realised all the stuff I had on development work, which is one thing students find very hard to do. I would have enough stuff for a book on that for sure. What do you think? Also how do you find a publisher? Id love to hear from you. Anne Marks anniemarks@usa.net

    ReplyDelete